Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sick

More from the br sketchbook today...

I've been noticing a lot of sketches that have 'extra' lines lately...  

For instance, this GORGEOUS piece by Abigail Larson: 


I love, love, love this style.  I've seen other people do similar things, but this lady's stuff just screams at my eyeballs to love it!  You can see more of Abigail Larson's work HERE.  You can also support her art and buy (me a hoodie or) something HERE.  I don't know this gal, but I REALLY enjoy her work very much and wanted to share it.

So anyway, I've had this 'sketchy' style with the 'extra' lines on my mind for quite a while, and thought I'd try a quick version of it:


"I feel sick and tired, likely because I'm always trying to fit a square peg in a round hole..."
Clearly, I need A LOT more work, but I love the look so much I know I will be revisiting it again and again so that I can get better.  I think I did it a little backwards (aka all wrong) in this piece...I think I may have figured out how to get better sketch lines and therefore a better end result...  I'm going to be experimenting more...  Practice, practice, practice...till your sick of practicing, right?  It's the only way to improve!

I also got my ICAD card done for today.  The prompt was "junk mail" and the card is 3x5:


"I pretend that I'm happy.  It's a lie.  I'm sick of always saying goodbye."  This is water soluble crayolas (the yellow and blue) and then the girl and the green piece are both from the same junk mail envelope.  I was looking at the window of the envelope and thought it looked kind of like a car window, so I stuck the cute little kid in the window and viola.  Recently, I have been seeing a ton of really cool ideas/uses for junk mail envelopes that have the clear plastic window...people are amazingly creative!

10 comments:

  1. this is real good Sweets! You hit the expression of sick eyes on the point! You made such a progress, it is amazing! You are on the right way, dear, keep on going and stop judging to much. You´ve got it. Let it be
    Cheers
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriele! I just keep practicing! I do see a lot of improvement from where I started to now...I will have to find some of my stuff from when I very first started...there is a BIG difference! How could I not get better with you and all the ladies encouraging me and supporting me!?!

      Delete
  2. G is correct. The expression on her face says... I'm sick... good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo! It's a different style for me, but I'll keep practicing and get better!

      Delete
  3. Loving your sketches! I popped over here from ICAD and really enjoyed your posts! I look forward to seeing your work every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! I'm happy you came and checked out the blog! ICAD has been really wonderful...I love getting to 'meet' new people and see their beautiful art!

      Delete
  4. I am a fan of sketchy style as well and I am heading over to check out her work because it is wonderful... thanks for introducing me to it... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work is great, isn't it? I don't know what it is about her pieces, other than that sketchy style...but I love it. I found her on accident, just by scrolling through on Pinterest, and I was shrieking at the computer like I was a teenage girl that saw a celebrity or something!

      Delete
  5. Lovely work, as always!!!
    Hugs, Pamikins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Pamikins! You are too kind (as always)! :) *Smooches!*

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!