I've been thinking about the things that make us individuals...you know, our little quirks...the things we do that make us seem a bit strange to other people.
I, for one, find these traits/habits/weirdnesses to be extremely interesting. I love the details that make one person different from another. I guess, in my head, if you just pay attention, these little funky things are like having a secret insight into someone else.
For instance, my husband has this thing he does when he gets frustrated...he takes his hat (he's never without his ball cap) on and off repeatedly...not all the way...just up, down, up, down... And when he's REALLY mad, he takes off his hat and rubs his hand across his forehead so hard you would swear he was trying to take the skin off. Why does he do it? I have no clue, and that's what makes it interesting to me.
Or a friend of mine at work has a desk full of ducks...why ducks? Actually, I know why in this case: I work at a factory where they make fans, heaters, thermostats, ect. One of the things we make are duct heaters, and my friend is the one who always prints and keys these duct orders in and so somebody started calling her the duck lady (same issue with duct tape...duct tape, duck tape...everybody calls it duck tape) and got her a duck...and then people just assumed she liked ducks, so they kept getting her more of them and now she's got a desk full of ducks. Even when I know the why behind these weird things, they still interest me.
If quirks are what make us interesting, I think I must be the most interesting person in the world. (Not really...) I do have a lot of quirks though...for instance:
- I am a multiple sneeze person. I sneeze six times in a row. If I ever sneeze less than six times, it will be just once, and this is how I know I am getting sick. Multiple sneezes are completely normal, but if I sneeze only once, it's time to stock up on Kleenex and orange juice.
- I have a large collection of various turtle things (even a tattoo of a turtle). I collect turtle things because my mom has called me Turtle ever since I can remember. She says when I was a kid, it was like I did everything in slow motion...so she started calling me Turtle. My turtle tattoo is the equivalent of the heart with 'Mom' inside of it.
- I never cry...I mean very rarely...not even when people die...I'm just not a cryer... However, if you make me watch Dumbo, I will ball my eyes out when Dumbo's mother is in the 'mad elephant' cage and she sticks her trunk out through the bars and rocks Dumbo and that darn "mother's love their babies" song is playing in the background...I swear I get misty just thinking about it.
- I hate bananas, but I like banana flavored things. Banana popsicle, banana snack cakes, banana Runts (the best flavor Runt of all!)...love 'em...actual bananas, puke city.
- I hate the following words: moist (don't ever call cake moist in front of me...that is a cake I will not be eating), whimsical (maybe from overuse? ...I don't know, but it irritates me when I hear that word), panties (grossest. word. ever. I call them underpants...much less gross, slightly comical, better option by far) , bling ( I might use this word occasionally, but not if I can help it...I like sparkly...or shiny...or shimmery... anything but bling) and vagina (ew. Who names this stuff? I go with 'lady parts'... I'm perfectly fine with penis...I usually say wiener, but I'm ok with penis. But vagina...that's just a terrible word...I'm so happy my name is not Gina for this exact reason...although if you pronounced vagina like you pronounced Gina, I think I'd feel better about the word. 'I wear underpants to cover my va-Gina...' Ok, that's hilarious...I'm going to be calling it a va-Gina from now on...at least on occasion when 'lady parts' just won't cut it...
What got me thinking about quirks was the fact that I also have the weird habit of drawing when I'm in the bathroom. I used to read, but anymore, I've been mostly drawing instead. Which is weird in and of itself, but if you include the fact that the bathroom sketchbook is huge, it adds to the strangeness... And then, I have the best ideas in the bathroom. I hate to think of all the great ideas that have been lost to me because I resisted putting a sketchbook in the bathroom for so long...but NEVER again will my bathroom ideas be denied...
The sketch for today is in my bathroom sketchbook (hereafter known as the br sketchbook):
|I use pen or sharpie in the br sketchbook...the br is no place for erasers...it's a place for brilliant ideas jotted quickly. So I use pen and if I like something, I try to make a more polished version in one of my art journals or, in the case of today, an ICAD card.|
Here's the ICAD card based on the above quick sketch. It's 3x5, colored with watercolor:
|I actually like the original sketch better than this. I think the white face is what's throwing me the most...I'm not sure... But I do like the nose quite a bit...on the ICAD card and the original as well. There may be another incarnation of this attempted in one of my art journals at some point, because I REALLY like the idea of/thought behind the page. In case you are wondering, the quote comes from the John Butler Trio song below.|
So there you have it...now that you know about a couple of my weird little things that make us the entire weirdness that is me, I'd love to know yours! What are some things that make you who you are?