Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Book on the Shelf and Who do You Love?

Find out more HERE

I missed yesterday.  Again...but I'm not gonna let it freak me out...I'm just going to calmly catch up and that's ok.  Breath in, breath out...quit being such an OCD weirdo!  


Day 14: 
Grab the third book in on your top shelf of books. 
Share the first sentence.


I really liked this prompt!  Surprisingly, the third book on my shelf was not art or crafting related!  

It was this book:


The Old American by Ernest Hebert

The first sentence in the book is as follows:

"I wish to learn here on earth, not in heaven, why my husband visits Mount Hope Bay every year." -Elizabeth Blake, on her deathbed, July 19, 1804, Keene, New Hampshire

I even made a page in one of my art journals with this book in mind:




Originally, I had gotten The Old American in order to make an altered book.  It had a hard cover and sturdy binding.  But I always read the books I get for altering before I do anything to them.  Sometimes I go ahead and start flinging paint...other times, I think the books are too good to be lost to alteration and I keep them for reading purposes.  That's what happened with this book.

I had thought it was going to be a snooze-fest, and it's not really a topic I'd generally go for.  (You can read a synopsis HERE.)  I'd have definitely overlooked it if I was looking for a book for reading purposes (as opposed to altering purposes).  But it turned out to be pretty good!  The way the character Caucus-Meteor is written was very interesting.  The way his thoughts and reasonings were portrayed...I don't know I guess he was a person on the fringe of something...I really identified with his struggles.  His life was not the one he expected to have, situations did not work out according to his hopes or plans, but he was resilient...I think I found myself having a lot of respect for him by the end of the book.  Pulling the book off the shelf and thinking about what to say about it made me want to read it again.

Day 15:
Who do you love?

A lot of people, I suppose...but I think that it would be easier to show you a picture of Leonard, who was the person who made me know what love is, who made me KNOW that I was loved, and who showed me that I was actually capable of loving.

He was my favorite person...

...and any good that I see in the world, I only see it because he showed me how.

Maybe one day our whole story will be written.  But I think that there are not enough words in the world to describe him in the right way.  I will just say what I can:  He was the best man I've ever met.  And, no matter what I ever say, the truth is that I will always love him the most.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful art journal page... love the depth.... and your book sounds like a great read... lovely to read about Leonard as well...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!